Everybody’s doing it, so why can’t she? In the last 12 months, we’ve had stunning singles from models (Sky Ferreira), failed models (Lana Del Cray), and whatever the fuck Kreayshawn was doing before she was Kreayshawn, so why wouldn’t the alt sister of the biggest pop star on the planet get into the act? Penned by Dev Hynes of Blood Orange and Lightspeed Champion — he’s also the guy who did Ferreira’s knock-you-the-fuck-out “Everything is Embarrassing” — Solange coos all doe-eyed and dreamy over Balearic percussion and spacious synths. Like “E.I.E.,” the track is all about Hynes’ devastating hook, and it increasingly seems like it’s time for Hynes to leave his day-job and just start writing John Hughes-recalling pop songs fulltime. I wonder who his next victim will be? I think he should write his next one for Jay Cutler. I’d buy that record.
- Hot Jam of the Day (06.14.12): Ice Choir, “I Want You Now and Always” | Thunder Penguin on Hot Jam of the Day (3.23.12): Ice Choir, “Two Rings”
- Hot Jam of the Day (05.29.12): Disclosure, “Control” (f/ Ria Ritchie) | Thunder Penguin on Hot Jam of the Day (04.16.12): Disclosure, “Boiling” (f/ Sinead Harnett)
- Hot Jams of the Day (05.28.12): D’Eon, “Transparency (pt. II)” & “Now You Do” | Thunder Penguin on The Best 51 Tracks of 2011
- Hershel Fouty on Hot Jam of the Day (05.04.12): 2:54, “Creeping”
- DNAlvarez60 on Terius Tuesday: “Fancy”